Baptism is important because of our obedience to Jesus Christ
- When we love Jesus, we want to do what He says.
- When we are baptized, we are following the example of Jesus who was obedient to God the Father, and was baptized to “fulfill all righteousness”. The early church believers were all baptized (see the book of Acts).
- Jesus told His disciples to Matthew 28:19,20 “…make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you…”
Baptism is important because of our testimony to others
- Baptism is an outward expression of our conversion to Jesus Christ. People would put their trust and belief in Jesus Christ and then were baptized as a public demonstration of that personal relationship.
- Baptism is an illustration of the gospel story. The Bible refers to Christians as Col. 2:12 “…having been buried with him in baptism and raised with him through your faith in the power of God, who raised him from the dead.”
- Baptism is a picture of the gospel:
- that Christ died and we are dead to sin through salvation
- that Christ was buried and we are burying our old sinful life
- that Christ was raised from the dead and that we are raised to live a new life in Christ.
Baptism by Immersion
- At UDAC we practice baptism by immersion under water. Immersion symbolizes the burial and resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ, and our own death to “self and sin” and commitment to live a new life in Christ.
Who should be baptized?
- Anyone who has confessed and repented of their sins and is trusting Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior, should be baptized. We do not baptize infants but rather dedicate them, which in part looks forward to the day when they will make their own choice to receive Christ as Savior and Lord.
What must I do to be baptized?
- We ask that you attend a class (2 or 3 sessions) long about baptism. This will be followed with an interview with a church elder(s) to review your understanding of baptism and to hear about your faith in Christ. If you would like to be baptized, please contact the church office at 381-7171 or email@example.com.